History

In 1812 the residents of Fredericktown erected on this site Fort Duffy, one of several forts that served as the country’s defense against the British. In 1813, however, the town and its fort were burned by a British fleet consisting of “fifteen barges and three small boats.” The twin village of Georgetown (both communities being named after the two sons of King George II) was also burned.
ship
Several years later the granary was built. Existing records date back only as far as 1876, when the building was purchased by Ben Walmsley. Walmsley stored corn and grain for shipment to Baltimore.

This building was opened as a restaurant in the late 1940’s, utilizing the original grain bins and warehouse as part of the dining facilties. Prior to this time, it housed the old Tockwogh Yacht Club. Tockwogh is an Indian word meaning Sassafras.

Sadly, the original structure was destroyed by fire in March 1985. The hand-hewn beams in the vestibule are all that remains of the “old” Granary. The “new” Granary, overlooking the Sassafras River, continues to offer relaxed fine dining.